BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, October 5, 2009

Edinburgh Castle

Yes, we do live in the land of castles. Today we bought our historic Scotland pass which allows us into 78 historical sites within Scotland and supposedly we can also go into some English ones too. So with this special pass we can now go into the thirty plus castles on this list. Not all of them are as up to date as the Edinburgh Castle, but at least we live near the castle that is still in use today. Not as a residence, but for the Scottish Military Tatoo, which we plan on attending next August. You can still see the bleachers that are being taken down. I suggest you check out some videos on YouTube and then come visit us next August.

Though the inside is beautiful, I must admit that the outside is breathtaking. Something about seeing a castle from the bottom is just really cool. But the inside was neat too.

There were a multitude of museum and other historically important objects and buildings. This was from the Royal Scots Grey and the history of their battles since their creation. I thought it strange that the American Revolutionary War didn't get mentioned, but maybe they didn't make it across the Atlantic.

Of course every castle must have a set of cannons which are no longer is use. However, there is one cannon that goes off everyday at one o'clock. We didn't hear it today, but when we go back with the next batch of visitors we will be sure to plan the visit accordingly.

This is a view from the cannon hole. In the distance you can see the bay which leads out to the North Sea. It is really cool living on the water again, although it is still quite cold and to think that it is on October! Here is a challenge for you though. See how many Scottish flags you can find in this photo. Click on it to enlarge it. If you want to see more of the pictures of the castle then just click on this link or go to my facebook account to make comments on it.

1 comments:

Shan said...

Love it Steve! I wish you two the best of luck. I'm so jealous that you're in Scotland!!! Ok, so I could only see 3 flags, but I was searching for bits of blue. I'm pretty sure I'm really off, because from what I hear, they fly their flag everywhere. I'm excited you started a new blog!