BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, October 11, 2009

All things Irish

      Interesting title considering we live in Scotland, eh?  What can I say?  I've never been able to make up my mind which "ethnicity" I prefer because they are both so dang cool.  So this week, I'm honoring the Irish.  You know how bad things occasionally happen, which in the end, turn out to be really great?  That totally happened last week.  I was on Princes St. heading toward the National Gallery to purchase my ticket for a conference taking place this last week.  I bought some Christmas wrapping paper (Enrichment service project...people looked at me like I was a lunatic for starting Christmas so early this year), purchased my gallery ticket, and proceeded to take the bus back home.  Somehow, with all the weird stuff I was carrying, I managed to lose my bus pass from the time I got on the bus to the second I got off.  I noticed my pass wasn't in my pocket right after the driver closed the doors and pulled away from the curb.  Great.  I was able to replace it a couple days later, and that's when all the fun began!  I was browsing through the pamphlets at the Lothian bus office while waiting to get a new card, and lo and behold, I spied my little eye on something TOTALLY FANTASTIC!  A pamphlet advertising "Lord of the Dance" coming to Scotland this week.  I saw the flier Monday, and purchased tickets for me and Steve to see the show on Wednesday.  Luckily, my husband rocks - he was up for the adventure without complaining about having to watch men in somewhat-tight pants and somewhat-high heels bust a move on stage.  =)  It was absolutely amazing!  Irish dance rocks - thanks Steve!
       The best reaction to the news of going to the show comes from our favorite missionary, the one and only Elder Brophy from Dublin, Ireland.  Steve told the Elders he wasn't available Wednesday night after 5pm because I was taking him to see LOTD.  Elder Brophy was shocked that we were going to see it, and made some funny comments, which sounded even funnier because of his sweet accent.  I think Steve was a little hesitant about what he was in for after hearing them, but at the end of night on Wednesday, he was converted to the Michael Flatley fan club, and he was tapping his feet the whole way home.  He made sure to do a little jig for Elder Brophy the next time he saw the missionaries.  =)  Note - we didn't actually see Michael Flatley as LOTD, but really, the leading male dancers are all the same.
       We made fast friends at intermission with two ladies (a mother and daughter) from Inverness, who offered to take us out to dinner when we manage to visit their town.  Steve and I asked tons of questions about what to do and where to stay since we're trying to plan a weekend trip up there.  My parents have a favorite kilt-maker that works in Inverness, and they want to buy Steve a kilt as a memento from Scotland, so now we can kill two birds with one stone - buying a kilt, and having fun with the natives!  Again, how fortuitous that I lost my bus pass - it led to a great show, and some great connections with peeps in Inverness!
       So, in the end, Lord of the Dance was absolutely fantastic.  We still love Elder Brophy, even though he has poor taste in entertainment (though, considering the fact that he's currently a missionary, we look past that and still have him and his companion, Elder Seletos, for dinner), and a trip to Dublin during the next 10 or so months is definitely in the works.  Ireland, how we love thee!


     This is who Steve wants to be for Halloween this year.  This is the bad guy that fights the good guy for the sweet belt with a jewel-encrusted insignia "LOTD."  It's a pretty sweet belt....I'm considering having one made for Steve as a Christmas gift.  You have to feel bad for this guy.  He's a fantastic dancer with some pretty sweet moves, but from the very beginning, you know he has no chance.  Hello?  The good guy ALWAYS gets the girl AND the sparkly belt.


The real McCoy.  Yes, Michael Flatley - THE Lord of the Dance. 

Éirinn go brách!!!

1 comments:

Cullen said...

Hopefully, Steve (wearing the bad-guy costume) will end up with the girl this Halloween!