BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

AiH....who knew?

      Story: This one begins on my first day of school.  I walked up Chambers Street, swiped my university card to get into the Minto house, and was there confronted with a booth for something with the acronym AiH.  Great.  What's that?  Who cares - I got the bookmark they were passing out (which, I threw away rather quickly without even looking at it....shameful!), and headed on my merry little way to my classes upstairs.  That was three weeks ago.  Fast forward to today.  Meeting at 1:00pm with the associate director of AiH - Art in Healthcare for a sweet internship.  A SWEET internship!  Who knew that I could fuse my two loves into a stellar, six-month internship?!?!?  Art and medicine - I'm totally stoked.  I get to catalog and organize the collection, give seminars and lectures at medical facilities that contract with AiH, and they also want me to curate an exhibition in a gallery space to advertise and make new contacts within the community.  WOO-HOO!!!  I'm kinda excited...  And, AiH is located off Leith Walk, which is pretty ghetto, BUT, that means it is also where all the cool shops, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, and really cool gallery spaces are located.  I walked around the area for a bit today on my way to and from my interview and decided this was definitely something I could get used to.  I'm really glad it worked out - it all happened really fast (I got an email yesterday asking if I was interested, had my interview today, and landed the internship immediately).  Only potential downside: I'll be dealing with contemporary Scottish artists, and their work - we'll see how it goes.  Contemporary art, for me, is like eating beets, or mushrooms, or liver - not really my favorite, or even sub-favorite, I quite loathe it actually, but after looking through the collection with the director today, I think I'll be able to handle it.  Maybe.  =)  

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations. What an awesome experience.

ann said...

Awesome! You're a mover and a shaker. Want to teach me how?

TheCoys said...

That's awesome Kristen! I'm sure you'd do great at it and be able to put your own touch on it that everyone will love. That's going to be a great experience!

Luke & Natalie said...

Congrats! That will be awesome to have an internship to give you some experience. Good luck with everything.

Cullen said...

Well done!! Thats super cool for you! I wish I could work in a seedy part of town . . . and get to know all the holes-in-the-walls . . .

:-D