BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Museum Project - Instructor Adams style


Recently, I had an epiphany. Since I can't concentrate on the lesson plans that I should be preparing right now, I decided to pay a visit to Team Adams and share the result of said epiphany.

What is that?

The Museum Project

Instead of assigning a research paper that will be written and then promptly forgotten for my Art History courses this quarter, each student has to give a presentation on a specific museum. They have to tell us about its history, design, architect, etc. Most importantly, they need to share information about ten famous artworks from the permanent collection, all in a concise, yet creative way (stay tuned and you'll see what I mean). Students will keep a journal/notebook of the presentations and by the end of the quarter, they'll have their very own catalog of the world's best art - in one location - that can be tossed in a purse or man-bag the next time they travel. Oh how I wish I'd had that on so many occasions!

I don't know how many of you enjoy museums, or even art for that matter, but I figured I'd share the wealth from this project with any interested party. I'll base my posts around the presentations given by my students, with a few extra tidbits thrown in from my own experience.

Here's what you have to look forward to in the next 10-11 weeks:

Museum of Egyptian Antiquities, Cairo, EGYPT*
National Archeological Museum, Athens, GREECE*
British Museum, London, UNITED KINGDOM*
J Paul Getty Center, Los Angeles, USA**
National Palace Museum, Taipei TAIWAN R.O.C.***
Vatican Museums, Vatican City, Rome, ITALY*
Uffizi Gallery, Florence, ITALY*
Musee du Louvre, Paris, FRANCE*
Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, THE NETHERLANDS*
Borghese Gallery, Rome, ITALY*
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, USA*
Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, AUSTRIA*
Albertina Museum, Vienna, AUSTRIA*
Alte Pinakothek, Munich, GERMANY*
The State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, RUSSIA**
National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh, UNITED KINGDOM*
Museo del Prado, Madrid, SPAIN**
Musee d'Orsay, Paris, FRANCE*
Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, THE NETHERLANDS*
Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, USA**
The Frick Collection, New York, USA*
National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C., USA*
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, USA
National Gallery of London, London, UNITED KINGDOM*
Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, USA
Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, USA*
Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, FRANCE*
Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao, SPAIN (pictured above)**
Museum of Modern Art (MOMA), New York, USA*
Tate Modern, London, UNITED KINGDOM


*Been there, loved it, highly recommend it.
**Never been, can't wait to see it.
***Came close, missed it, means I'll have to go back.

Although there are many more museums to choose from, keep in mind that I have only eleven weeks to work with each quarter, so these are the top 30 museums that made the cut.

1 comments:

Cullen said...

Booyah! You go get 'em Kristen! I think that's an awesome idea for your class (though I'm sure the students hate it . . . mostly because it requires them to learn!)

I'll be looking forward to the results!