BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Borrowed Heart

I've had a lot on my mind leading up to this week, mostly thanks to memories running through my head, and mostly surrounding the event which this post is about. Before getting into the details, I came across this quote and found it surprisingly meaningful in relation to all the things occupying my mind.


A memory is what is left when something happens and does not completely unhappen.
-Edward de Bono

June 16th is a very good day. It became a milestone of sorts in 2007. Many of you know the story of my dad's epic heart episode of 2007 (some more than others) and June 16th is part of all that. It fell on a Saturday that year (the next day was Father's Day, which makes this story that much more poignant), and I remember it had been a crazy day on my mission. My planner had fallen from my bag earlier in the day, causing no small amount of distress when I realized it was MIA, lots of appointments fell through, things just didn't seem to be going well - you know - a typical day in the mission field. =) We came home at 9:00pm, checked our messages on the answering machine, and this is what I heard:

Sister Irvine, this is President Larkin calling. We have some good news for you. Your dad has successfully undergone a heart transplant surgery and the doctors think everything looks good. Your mother asked that I wait to inform you until after the surgery was over, which it now is. She has kept us updated and the operation went smoothly. Please call us when you get in.

I was stunned. Talk about a complete 180 in the emotions department. From disheartened to ecstatic in 10.269 seconds! I called President back and spoke with him briefly. I knew I wouldn't be able to call my family, but I asked if I could call the companion I was serving with at the time this whole thing started - the incredible Sister Soderborg (she's the one I mentioned in our blog post about our trip to Utah). I got to call her to share the amazing news - and even though she technically isn't family, she kind of is. She'd been with me when I needed someone close by. Whatever the reason for having them, memories are priceless. They serve to remind me how fragile life is, yet how powerful human beings are through expressing love, sharing sorrow, developing hope, etc. etc. etc. Maybe that's why I like that quote above so much. Things happen in life that leave a mark, but only because the story doesn't actually end with the experience that caused the memory in the first place. It marks the beginning of other stories stemming from the original incident and the pattern never really stops. The memory of receiving that news didn't vanish when the clock struck twelve that night - it has lingered in my mind for three years now and through many big events that have since transpired. The story of the heart transplant surgery will never "unhappen."



My dad always sends a clever announcement to mark the passing of another year with his borrowed heart. The picture above is what I found in this year's announcement. Even as a patient in critical condition he managed to make lasting friendships with his doctors and nurses, and continues to think of them and thank them for their hard work on a regular basis - particularly when June rolls around or whenever he has his "routine procedure" check-ups. Whether it's a small dinner with the docs or a big party with family and friends, he commemorates the gift of life he received and shares it with others. For some strange reason I always seem to miss out on the fun of celebrating his recovery. The first anniversary shindig happened to be during the week that I was working at EFY (but hey, I can't harbor a complaint since that is the same week that I met Steve!), the second was also a day I had to work, but I did manage to pop in and at least say hello before having to leave. And now, for year number three, an ocean is all that is keeping us from attending. Even though we won't be there to celebrate with my dad, his docs, and the rest of my family, I can at least pass on the lesson that he has never stopped teaching me, which is, never pass up an opportunity to tell those you love that you love them.


So here's to you and your borrowed heart, Dad.

Three years down, and many, many, MANY more to come.

I love you.


0 comments: