BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Latest Experiment

In the few days I had before moving to Indiana (I'm now a transplant here in Hoosier land), I decided to invest myself in the biggest science experiment of my life:

I built a garden in an attempt to grow a vegetable. 

 I've always loved flowers, but growing a vegetable garden is a different challenge that's been on my bucket list for quite a while now.  Since we'll be in Ohio for a long time, I figured there's no time like the present.









Why do I consider this an experiment?

If you looked closely at the first couple pictures, you may have noticed a dead plant.  I kept it there purposefully to prove just how much of an experiment this will be for Team Adams.
We have not been known to have "green thumbs" in this household, though I will admit, we killed that plant on purpose because we didn't have a good place for it inside.  Frankly, it was a bit of a nuisance.  We set it outside and let nature run its course, i.e. a normal March frost put it out of its misery.

We're trying the square-foot gardening thing from scratch since our back patio is all cement (which added a few more steps to the garden construction to comply with a strict landlord) so we'll see what happens as the summer progresses.  Our vegetables/herbs of choice this year:

Zucchini squash
Bell peppers (green, red, and orange)
Tomatoes (Big Boy and Better Boy varieties)
Parsley
Rosemary
Sage

Now it's up to Steve to keep everything alive until I get back...

3 comments:

GreenTaiwan said...

...including the bug. :)

Stinkbombers said...

Where did you go in Indiana? And why? That is where I grew up! :) I hope Indy treats you well!

Else said...

Love it! I did a square foot garden for three years back in CA. The biggest thing I learned..... You learn something new with each year that makes the next year better! Great job!!!