BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Election Day

I failed in my civic responsibility this year and am quite ashamed of myself.

Two reasons for this: I am not registered to vote in Ohio, nor did I request an absentee ballot in enough time to have my vote count in the Utah election. It won't be happening again, that's for sure.

Joe, Steve and I decided to go and hit up the dollar theater for some cheap entertainment because we figured we'd watch the returns after the movie ended when there was actually something to say rather than mere speculation. We didn't participate, but we figured we'd at least celebrate (or cry).



First movie: Eat Pray Love
(We saw this last Saturday, but I wanted to share a few thoughts)



Loved it!

Some people have gotten carried away with the book and have tried to copy Ms. Gilbert's journey of discovery. Sad, but true. I must say, however, that there are some very valuable lessons to be learned from the author's experiences.


One of my favorite parts of the movie happened to take place in Italy. After seeing the trailer for this movie I knew the cinematography would be fantastic, and I was not disappointed. An awesome moment is captured when the friends are gathered together eating Italian food, and there is a huge plate of spaghetti (seen above) with the parmesan cheese being sprinkled on top of it in slow motion while the Queen of the Night aria plays in the background. It is absolutely brilliant.


Second Movie: Inception

We saw this last night while the votes were being counted.

It blew my mind.



I'm definitely going to need to see this a few more times. The story line is still working itself out in my head. Most people I've talked to say that you should plan to see it more than once to catch all the details you missed the first time.

Done deal.


And that was how we spent Election Day 2010. Though I shirked my civic duty, I participated in some good 'ole American entertainment at the dollar theater. After the movie ended we came home and checked out the election returns to see what's going to happen to our country over the next two years...

2 comments:

Penelope Celeste said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who was LOST in the movie Inception. It was cool, but perhaps a little "too cool" for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I like "deep" movies, but perhaps this was a little too DEEP for my liking.

Sam liked it though.

I'm intrigued that you liked Eat Pray Love! I must watch it now! I thought the preview looked fantastic, but I heard mixed reviews. I started listening to the audio book because I was intrigued, but after listening to the first chapter, I told myself to stop or else I'll never want to get married or have children... Haha. That probably displays my complete ignorance of what the story is really about.

Anyway, I just love you and love reading about your opinions on things. =)

xox

Jen Holtkamp said...

we're glad you guys saw inception...we've seen it 4 times and i was totally lost the first time :) -jen